Monday 9 November 2009

Experimental Video Diary

I have finished most of my filming for my experimental film and most of it went well. But I did have some problems with the tripod. I found it hard to get it in the right posistion for the shot. Another problem I had was lighting, as most of my filming was done in the evening when it was very dark. I ended up having to put loads of lamps on pointing in the direction of the camera just to be able to see more clearly!

I found editing my video quite easy to do once I knew how the software worked. I had too firstly go through my video and shorten it down, because I had about 8 minutes of footage, when I only needed 3 minutes. I ended up watching it through and cutting out a few sections like end scene because I didnt feel that it worked well and it just changed the concept I was trying to get across. The problem with the last scene was that it was of the girl crying and that shows the outcome of the medias pressure in a very narrative way. I didnt want the film to be to story based so I cut the scene out so that the audience could just imagine the outcome themselves, and with the whole video the outcome was implied.

I also had to cut out some of my television footage of random television clips. I had to cut out one clip in particular because it was of a BNP protest, and although it is media pressure it didnt fit into the concept I was trying to show. I wanted to mainly stick to televison clips which pressurise people into changing there appearance and making people want to strive for perfection.

After cutting my video down, I then had to remove the audio sounds and add music. I made my music using garage band, however I didnt make the music myself it was pre recorded tracks and I just put a few together to create the sounds I wanted. After putting the music to it, I then focused on making the transitions from one clip to another look smooth. I mainly used fade in and then on the scene after I would use fade out. I think the transistions did work and looked good.

I wanted to make the last clips of the girl doing her makeup alot darker than the other clips, so I did this by using Sepia to change the colours. I wanted this last clip to be darker to show the contrast between the lightness and happiness of being young, and then the darkness and pressure of growing up. I think this effect did create that feeling along with the repetative music.

No comments:

Post a Comment